Panchratna Dal/ Chevti Dal. Dear Friends, Today I will share with you the royal cuisine Panchratna Dal. The word Panchratna means five jewels. Measure all the ingredients and keep ready for making panchmel dal.
Add red chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric, salt and mix well for a minute in medium flame. In a pressure cooker ( or slow cooker ) add the mix of lentils and pour some water, till the water level reaches above the level of lentils. Once the pressure subsides open the cooker and give the dals a good whisk. You can cook Panchratna Dal/ Chevti Dal using 22 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Panchratna Dal/ Chevti Dal
- It's 1 cup of mixed dal washed and soaked 30 minutes.
- It's 3.5 cups of water.
- Prepare 1 of large onion chopped.
- Prepare 1 of large tomato chopped.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of ginger garlic paste.
- It's 1 tbsp of chopped garlic.
- It's 1 of large bay leaf.
- It's 1-2 of cinnamon sticks.
- You need 2 of whole red chillies.
- It's 3 of chopped green chillies.
- You need 1 tbsp of ground pepper.
- You need 1 tbsp of turmeric powder.
- You need 1 tbsp of red chilli powder.
- You need 1 tbsp of rajwadi masala.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of salt.
- Prepare 1 tsp of mustard seeds.
- Prepare 1 tsp of cumin seeds.
- You need Pinch of asafoetida.
- It's 1 of lemon.
- It's 5-6 of curry leaves.
- It's 3 stalks of spring onions chopped.
- It's 2-3 tbsp of ghee.
Cook until tomatoes become mushy and oil oozes out. Add chopped coriander leaves and serve panchmel dal hot with. Place soaked daal in pressure cooker. Once cooked, turn the heat off and let the pressure release completely on its own.
Panchratna Dal/ Chevti Dal step by step
- In a pressure cook add 3.5 cups of water with soaked mix dal. Add 0.5 tbsp of turmeric, 1 tbsp pepper and 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste. Cook for 4 whistles..
- In a large wok, heat 3 tbsp ghee. Add mustard seeds and cumin. Let it crackle. Add cinnamon, whole red chillies and bay leaf. Add a pinch of asafoetida. Stir well..
- Now add chopped garlic, green chillies and sliced onion. Saute till onion turns golden..
- Add chopped tomatoes. Saute till tomatoes turn mushy. Add all the spices and cook for a minute..
- Add boiled dal and mix well. Add salt. Mix well. Let it boil for 4-5 mins. Adjust desired consistency by adding water..
- Turn off heat. Squeeze lemon mix well. Garnish with chopped green onions. Serve with hot chapati or rice..
Panchmel dal recipe - Panchmel or panchratna dal, as one may call is a dal from Rajasthan. With the amalgamation of five different lentils, it gets super protein packed. I used Chana Dal, Tuvar Dal, Chilkewali Moong Dal, Udad Dal, and Masoor Dal. While the dal is delicious, be warned that it is rather heavy on the stomach, so I would advise that you eat in moderation, especially if you have a sedentary life like mine. 🙂. The mix of five different types of lentils, which generally are hari moong dal, dhuli moong dal, chana dal, kali urad dal and masoor dal gives a very different flavor to the Dal.